What is the history of the library?
A Brief History of the Saint Francis University Library
In the early years, the library occupied a part of Old Main. Approximately 15,000 volumes were lost in the 1942 fire that destroyed Old Main.
After the fire, the library temporarily located in the basement of Schwab 202. It then moved to a converted garage and apartment building on the Schwab Estate. In 1945, the library was again moved to Schwab Hall where it was located on the third floor.
In 1947, the library moved out to “Old” Padua Hall. “Old” Padua Hall was destroyed by fire in 1958. 45,000 volumes were consumed by the flames.
The old part of the present library building was dedicated in 1959 as the Pius XII Memorial Library. In 1967, a six floor addition was completed at the rear of the structure.
In 1989, Frank Pasquerilla made a donation to the college and the library was renamed in his honor. 1990 brought the dedication of the Margaret M. Tobin Center for Archives and Special Collections, and in 1991, the library online system, FRANCIS, was dedicated.
In 2012, the library’s name changed once more – to the Saint Francis University Library and Learning Commons.
The library continues to improve and provide the best services possible to its patrons.